Bots and macro’s are banned. If you build or use bots or macros in Ironfell, you will be permanently banned.
If you’re already using bots for anything. Stop. It’ll get you and all your alts permanently banned.
There is a very long conversation about bots and macros in the forums here: http://ironfell.freeforums.org/bots-and-macros-t288.html
I had hoped that Ironfell could be really open and allow people to mess with the client app, I’d rather have people making bots than grinding boring tasks.
Everyone’s feedback has made me change my mind. Bots and macros would ruin the game. Key points from the forum discussion are:
- Worst case scenario, Grey Goo. A bot that spam fills all realms in the entire game with annoying units.
- Worst case scenario, A bot that gathers Wood and Iron in massive quantities devaluing them – ruining the economy.
- It will be too time consuming and confusing to say some bots are allowed, and others are not. So a blanket ban on all bot’s and macros is best.
- Half the people playing will be bots – ruining the community.
- New accounts will be made just to bot mine resources.
- It’s a strategy game, not a whos best at programming bots game :)
Vlonk has a really good point about features added to Ironfell benefit everyone evenly (like a new unit that builds roads easier), but bots benefit only the people who use bots.
Weskejak had another great point “this is fun, now i want a game that is designed around just using bots to be evil.” That is something I’d like to make :) But it would be a completely different game from Ironfell.
So… If you’re already using bots for anything. Stop. It’ll get you and all your alts permanently banned.
I need to spend a few days working out ways to detect and prevent bots and macros. It’ll be a combination of behavior modeling and rewards for anyone who reports people using bots (I’ld rather be working on Dinosaurs).